First Nations’ resource policies usually begin with the objectives (purposes) that the First Nation wants to achieve through its policy.
For example, resource policy objectives could include that mining activities:
- Promote the protection of the community’s Aboriginal rights, title and interests
- Bring social and economic benefits to the community
- Be compatible with sustainable development
- Minimize negative effects on the environment, wildlife, habitat, and the lives and culture of the people
- Be a transparent and collaborative process
Sample Mining Policies